More Film and Psychology

I’m thrilled by the postings on psychology and film. It is not only that films can be about psychological issues, but that the viewing of film involves cognitive and emotional processes that have themselves been provocatively explored by philosophers (see here), neuroscientists (see here), and cultural critics (see here). The impact of film is universal, and I would like to add to the lists already presented another a bit less dominated by English-language products.

An interesting psychological experiment: Watch a film in your native tongue that is subtitled in another. What is lost (or gained, or changed) in the translation? My favorite film of all time is Ladri di bicicletta (The Bicycle Thieves) directed in 1948 by Vittorio de Sica. It’s film language is so perfect that translation seems superfluous, but the English subtitles I have seen shift the psychology of the characters in interesting and subtle ways. If you think you’ve seen great films about childhood and its psychological challenges, and have never seen Francois Truffaut’s Les Quatre Cents Coups, you owe yourself the treat that film presents.

This entry was posted in Semester Break Activities by gramsci47. Bookmark the permalink.

About gramsci47

The title is, one hopes, the prevailing mood: deadly serious, but seriously playful; aware always that the comic turn is the deadliest and should be used when the prospects are darkest. The year was '68, soixante-huit, and it was heady times to be young and politique. I am no longer the first, but even moreso the second: the terrain is not the streets, but the classrooms where revolution begins, and too often au'jourd-hui, ends. Perhaps that can be changed, with pessimism of the intellect and optimism of the will.